Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Gobi Manchurian

There were only a handful of things that I knew to cook before marriage and the list included making tea, pressing chapati successfully into round shape, Okra stir fry, Vegetable Cutlet and Gobi Manchurian.

I had all forgotten my love for Gobi Manchurian until my recent trip to India when my 14 year old nephew Sanjay reminded me of the Gobi Manchurian I used to make and asked if I had made it for his Chithappa.

I have cooked Okra and Vegetable cutlet a couple of times in the past, but never got to post those recipes. Will do it soon.

For me the key to making the Gobi Manchurian which is much loved food is to have the right ingredients. Adding Capsicum, Soy Sauce, Chilli Sauce and Tomato Sauce plays such a important part in the flavor of this food.  This week I had all these with me and decided to make it right away.

Ingredients:

General:
2 cup cauliflower florets(bite size pieces)
Oil for Frying

For Cauliflower fry/fritters:

1 cup besan flour(channa dhal flour)
3 tsp rice flour
1 tsp corn flour
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp red chilli powder
Salt to taste(I added about 1/2 tsp)


For Manchurian:
1 cup onion (cut into bite size cubes)
2 tbsp Spring Onion (chopped)
1 green chilli (chopped finely)
1/2 cup Capsicum or green bell pepper (chopped - bite size pieces)
2-3 pods of garlic(chopped finely)
1/4 inch piece of ginger(chopped finely)
2 tsp Soy Sauce
2 tsp Chilli Sauce
2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
2 tsp oil
Salt to taste


Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan on medium. Mix all the ingredients in "For Cauliflower fry/fritters" with a cup of water to form a thin batter(consistency of a dosa batter).  Dip the florets one at a time in the batter and fry in oil. Remove to oil absorbing tissue paper when golden brown. (Heating the oil on medium will help in cooking the cauliflower while its turning golden brown). Keep aside.

Tip: Do not add all the florets to the batter and then take each one to fry. This will make the batter more water and cauliflower may not get well coated with batter. Dip each of the florets separately.

Now heat oil in a non stick pan. Remember to cook the entire Manchurian on high heat. Add the chopped ginger-garlic, green chilli. Fry for few seconds. Now add the capsicum/bell pepper and cubed onion. Add salt to taste(I added 1/2 tsp).  Fry until the onion is translucent and capsicum is a little soft. Add the soy sauce and chilli sauce and mix. Also add tomato sauce and mix. I used 2 tsp of tomato ketchup, u can add more if you like the taste.

Tip: Remember Ketchup is the key and a normal tomato sauce does not give that flavor we get when we buy in restaurant in India.

Now add the fired Cauliflower fritters and mix well until all the florets are well coated with the sauce. Add a little water if required. Fry for a few minutes on the high heat.

Decorate with the spring onion and serve hot with Vegetable Fried Rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment