Pages

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Baby Broccoli

We got up earlier than usual today and we had absolutely nothing planned for today. One of those rare weekends when we have time for ourselves. We decided we'll get out of the house and get some fresh air. What better than visit the farmers market and get some fresh veggies.

While we were shopping I saw some fresh Broccoli. While I was at the stall, the lady there introduced me to these Baby Broccoli. She said they are more flavorful and can be used with the whole stem and leaves. When I came back home I did my little internet search on this and this is what I found:

Asparation, Broccolini, or Baby Broccoli are actually a natural hybrid of the cabbage family Brassica oleracea, a cross between broccoli and Chinese flowering green kale. The stem is completely edible without peeling, and the florets hold up well after cooking.

Hmmm...Now I need to decide how I want to cook it. I usually make Broccoli Poriyal with Broccoli. I could try the same or make something new. Let me think about this a little more...

No comments:

Post a Comment