Pages

Monday, August 10, 2009

Dosa Kai Curry (Yellow Cucumber Curry)

I am turning into a big fan of vegetarian dishes, and I am into trying out all the veggies I am able to find in the Indian grocery store. I am basically from Bangalore and did not try much of cooking before my marriage. When I found Dosa Kai (Yellow cucumber) I was intrigued and wanted to try it. This below recipe is a north Karnataka dish.

Ingredients:
1 Dosa kai(yellow cucumber) small size - chopped (you can remove the seeds if you want, but I preferred to keep it)
1 Tamarind small ball, soaked in water
1/2 cup Coconut grated
4 Dry chillies roasted (add more if required according to your taste)
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Jaggery - Grated or Powdered
Salt to taste

For seasoning:

Mustard-1 tsp
Garlic - 5 finely chopped
Curry leaves -5-6 leaves

Method:

Take the cut yellow cucumber, a little salt, turmeric and water(about 1 cup) in a pan and cook until the Dosakaya is well cooked. Grind Tamarind, coconut, dry chillies into a fine paste. Once the dosa kai is completely cooked, add the ground paste and add little more turmeric and Jagerry. Cook for 5-10 mins.
Now take a little oil in a separte pan and add mustard. Once the mustard starts to splutter add chopped garlic, curry leaves. Pour the seasoning over the cooked dosakai curry.

Goes well with steamed white rice.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Vimala. We made it yesterday and it was yummy.

    ReplyDelete